Did I Overstay, Go Out of Status or become unlawfully present in the US? I'm very confused here are the facts:

Asked over 1 year ago - Franklin, TN

- Came to the US in 1991 with an F-2 D/S Status (My father was the F-1 D/S Visa Holder)
- I was 9 Years Old
- My father Finished his Studies in April 1996 but decided to stay and live in the US. I had no choice. I was 14.
- There were never any hearings, letters, or communication of any kind from USCIS.
- When I finished High School I made arrangements to leave the US. I left at the age of 19.
- 11 years Later I'm now Married, 1 Kid, Graduated from College, Stable Job, 30 yrs old and still in my home country, without ever having attepted to obtain a visa (thus never rejected)
- My father is now a legal resident (LPR)
- Is there a good chance I can obtain a Tourist Visa? & What should I answer in my Visa Form and Interview (Overstay, Unlawfully Present or Out of Status)?

1. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your period of unlawful presence in the US didn't start until you turned 18. When you left at 19 years of age, you acquired a 10-year bar to return to the US. If you've been out of the US for 11 years, bar not effective anymore.

You can try to obtain a tourist visa, but there are no guarantees you will receive it. You will need convincing evidence of strong ties to your home country, showing that you don't plan to simply stay in the US when you come visit. As far as the visa form, what exactly is the question on it?

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . Is there a good chance I can obtain a Tourist Visa? Yes, if the consular officer is convinced that you will not merely stay in the US.

What should I answer? Overstay

3. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Always be truthful in your answers. It's worth obtaining the help of an immigration lawyer with this application. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700