Did I make a mistake signing a Settlement Stipulation letter?

Pine Bush, NY |

I was sued by an attorney representing the original creditor for a credit card debt. We had a preliminary conference scheduled and beforehand the plaintiff's attorney offered a settlement amount which I had accepted. I felt rushed to sign the settlement stipulation before we were called before the judge and now I'm worried that I made a mistake. On the Settlement Stipulation there is an area where my account number and original account number were supposed to be entered but it is blank. Everything else appears legit accept for the account number missing. Now I'm really concerned that I'll be paying them for my debt and have no way to prove what I'm paying them for. Did I really mess up by signing this agreement without my account number on it?

Probably not the best decision you have made. It is not easy representing oneself in court.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Probably not. Is the account number listed in the complaint? Do you have more than 1 account?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I agree with Mr. Rothstein, that if the account number was listed in the complaint, you are probably covered and could use the stipulation as a defense to any other actions filed against you on that account. You could also write to the plaintiff's attorney to confirm that payment is being made on the specific account. If you agreed to a judgment, you should also attempt to get it vacated once you've paid in full-that will help improve your credit score. Good luck!

The responses, information and materials on this Web site are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided is general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance. An attorney and client relationship should not be implied. Nothing on this Web site or in my response is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, therefore if you require legal advice please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

You never want to leave terms in an agreement, especially a settlement agreement, blank. However, I asume that there was more detal about what they were suing for referenced and perhaps even attached as exhibits to the Complaint.

If the account being settled was what the lawsuit was all about then you should be okay.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.

Sued for debt topics