Did I make a mistake signing a Settlement Stipulation letter?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pine Bush, NY

I was sued by an attorney representing the original creditor for a credit card debt. We had a preliminary conference scheduled and beforehand the plaintiff's attorney offered a settlement amount which I had accepted. I felt rushed to sign the settlement stipulation before we were called before the judge and now I'm worried that I made a mistake. On the Settlement Stipulation there is an area where my account number and original account number were supposed to be entered but it is blank. Everything else appears legit accept for the account number missing. Now I'm really concerned that I'll be paying them for my debt and have no way to prove what I'm paying them for. Did I really mess up by signing this agreement without my account number on it?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Probably not. Is the account number listed in the complaint? Do you have more than 1 account?

2. Jennifer Addonizio Rozen

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Rothstein, that if the account number was listed in the complaint, you are probably covered and could use the stipulation as a defense to any other actions filed against you on that account. You could also write to the plaintiff's attorney to confirm that payment is being made on the specific account. If you agreed to a judgment, you should also attempt to get it vacated once you've paid in full-that will help improve your credit score. Good luck!

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . Probably not the best decision you have made. It is not easy representing oneself in court.

4. David Michael Kasell

Pro

Answered . You never want to leave terms in an agreement, especially a settlement agreement, blank. However, I asume that there was more detal about what they were suing for referenced and perhaps even attached as exhibits to the Complaint.

If the account being settled was what the lawsuit was all about then you should be okay.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.