Did I have the legal right to cut tree limbs that were hanging over on the neighbors yard? Neighbor asked and I had them cut.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lakeland, FL

I am the property owner, I have a lease purchase agreement with another party. The lessee threatened me with trespassing for cutting overhanging limbs.

1. Carol Anne Johnson

2

Best Answer

Answered . If your neighbor asked you to cut limbs that were hanging over into his yard, then you have every right to do so - you are an invitee on his property. Why would your lessee care that you cut the limbs? If you were on your own property cutting the limbs without having first obtained permission of the lessee to come on the property, then you were trespassing. Even though you own the property, once it is leased to another, your right to access are very limited.

2. Ryan Sanford Grazi

2

1

Answered . Florida law says yes you can cut tree limbs that are on your side of the property line. However it is unclear as to your specific situation and you should contact a real estate attorney to discuss your situation in further detail.

3. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You can cut off limbs from you neighbor's tree that hang over you property, but you cannot go across the property line to you neighbor's property to make the cut. If you are unsure of whether you actions violated Florida law, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.