Did I commit perjury? How can I rectify incorrect testimony after the trial is over?

Florence, OR |

In a small claims case, I was asked a direct question related to a previous date of medical service. In looking at the records I had available, I believed that date pertained to an MRI. I repeated that assertion a couple of times (based on a notation written next to that particular date on the form I was looking at). However, after the trial, which I lost, I realized I was incorrect. I feel the need to make the situation right, but I want to know what the ramifications are. Is there any way I can correct the record? Could this be considered perjury?

Perjury requires you to know that the statement you made was false, meaning you knowingly lied. If you did not knowingly lie, then you have likely not committed perjury. It sounds to me like you did not know that the statement you made was false, you were going off of records you believed were correct, so you should be ok. If you feel uneasy about the situation, talk to the lawyer you had in your small claims case, if you had one. If not, call up a criminal defense attorney and they can advise you further. Good Luck.

2. It was obviously an innocent mistake - that is not perjury. If it really bothers you consult a local attorney

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

3. Making a mistake is not perjury.

Since you lost the case, it really doesn't need correction.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.