Did I commit perjury? How can I rectify incorrect testimony after the trial is over?

Asked over 1 year ago - Florence, OR

In a small claims case, I was asked a direct question related to a previous date of medical service. In looking at the records I had available, I believed that date pertained to an MRI. I repeated that assertion a couple of times (based on a notation written next to that particular date on the form I was looking at). However, after the trial, which I lost, I realized I was incorrect. I feel the need to make the situation right, but I want to know what the ramifications are. Is there any way I can correct the record? Could this be considered perjury?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey A Turnoy

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Perjury requires you to know that the statement you made was false, meaning you knowingly lied. If you did not knowingly lie, then you have likely not committed perjury. It sounds to me like you did not know that the statement you made was false, you were going off of records you believed were correct, so you should be ok. If you feel uneasy about the situation, talk to the lawyer you had in your small claims case, if you had one. If not, call up a criminal defense attorney and they can advise you further. Good Luck.

  2. J Christopher Minor

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Making a mistake is not perjury.

    Since you lost the case, it really doesn't need correction.

    This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client... more
  3. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It was obviously an innocent mistake - that is not perjury. If it really bothers you consult a local attorney

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,628 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering