Did I break a federal law and can he fine me like he's trying to?

Chico, CA |

I recently posted saying I was on a tutoring website for military families claiming I was in active duty. I did this for the sole purpose of getting the tutor site for free, so I could get help on my math HW. However, to end the chat because I was bored, I said "My base is under attack and i'm shot!" and disconnected.

Now for the past couple of weeks, the legal guy at the website has been emailing me and my mother about this matter. He said on the phone that the case was *CLOSED* but a couple days later, he emailed my mother demanding a fine of $600 for "stealing" from military families.

Is this extortion? My mother keeps saying it is, but i don't know. Can he do this? He says if it's not resolved right away he will take legal action and increase the fine. Is this legal?

Doesn't sound straight forward. Government fines if any do not come by email first of all. You would has a visit by the authorities and likely a formal letter. So before you pay anything have the matter investigated. And stop posting potential self incriminating statements on a public forum such as this. consult with an attorney to make sure you are not being scammed. Good luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

First and foremost, who are you speaking to? Not everyone can fine you. There is no legal guy at a website that I know of that can fine you. Ask him to send you the citation and you will pay. When you get the citation, forget about paying until you take it to an attorney to verify whether its real. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

The "fine" is BS. I suspect that the website owner is angry and is trying to scare you.

I hope that you have learned a lesson and that, in the future, you will not misrepresent yourself or otherwise lie in you online activities.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business