Did animal control and the aurora police have the right to enter my home or was my 4th amendment right violated?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

On Friday, two of the dogs I was sitting for a friend that was is currently on vacation escaped my house. Animial control was called and attempted to catch the dog. The dogs ran back into my back yard. When animal control knocked on the front door, the front door swung open (locked, but not latched properly). They called Aurora Police who entered my home and seized all animals, including my friend's pitbull-like looking dog because they were not registered, had no water (yes they did), had no food (food bag was right beside the bowls), and they claimed my house was covered in feces (no it was not and neighbors are confirming that floors were clean as far as they were able to see). They searched all drawers, cabinets, closets and my jewlery box.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

7

Best Answer

Answered . Most of the criminal attorney on this Avvo site here in Denver offer free initial consultations. So whether you call John Buckley, Rhidian Orr, myself or one of the many other excellent attorneys on this site, call around and try to find an attorney who is familiar with these constitutional issues and is the right "fit" for you.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

6

Answered . It does sound like you were subject to an unlawful search. You may want to talk to an attorney. However, keep in mind that the primary remedy for a 4th Amendment violation is the suppression of evidence obtained during the search. A significant civil action is much harder to pursue.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

7

1

Answered . On the facts you provided--dogs got out, police came in and searched jewlery boxes and closets--yes your rights were trampled by the government.

It would be informative to hear the police departments version of events. I suspect their reports will round out the facts a bit (timelines, reason for entry, basis for animal control contacting police). Contact a Denver area attorney who can review all the documents and determine what options you may have.