Diagnosed with Cancer while collecting UI?

Asked 10 months ago - Long Branch, NJ

Oct 2011 I was laid off collected UI switched to UID when I was diagnosed with cancer. UID was exhausted in Oct 2012. denied SSD twice. Disabled from Feb 2012 thru Sept 2013. What does someone in my case do now I am able to go back to work and cant collect UI. If I never got cancer (which I received no Help from my state or government) I would still be on UI with all the extensions. why cant re-apply to pick up where I left off 2 years ago? now what do I do to get back on my feet I am tapped out?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

5

Answered . Why were you denied twice with SS? It is not unusual to be denied twice and then be successful on appeal. This is because a judge evaluated it on a different level than the agency. Whether I feel you would succeed depends on whether your disability will last more than two years and how it limits you. More facts are needed.

2. Mikel Edward Lupisella

4

Answered . I agree with Ms. Navarrete. You indicated in the Comment section that you have an attorney for the SS case. That is good. Especially because you said SSA said your disability would not last 12 consecutive months and you were "disabled from Feb 2012 thru Sept 2013." This shows that SSA was wrong initially. You can always ask for a closed period of disability because your disability did last longer than 12 consecutive months and you have recovered sufficiently to return to work.
    Contact your attorney and ask about any local agencies that can assist you with emergency payments for rent, utilities, etc.
    Ask this question directly to your SS attorney.

3. David J. McCormick

4

Answered . Need some more facts. Have you requested a hearing based on your reconsideration denial? Did you have a hearing? Not sure why you were denied for a closed period on disability from 2/12 -9/13. If you did not have an attorney then now is the time to talk with someone.

4. Michael T Warshaw

2

Answered . Assuming that you qualify medically, you should be able to collect SSD for the period from onset to remission (Feb. 2012 - Sept. 2013) - 19 months. Denial at initial level and at reconsideration level is pretty par for the course. You should have your SSD lawyer file for Administrative law review - In the meantime, re-file for UI and see what they say - because of teh requirement of employment, you will probably not succeed, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Explain your situation and see if there is an exception to cover your situation.