Desk Appearance Ticket and Attorney Question

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

This is for Kings County, Will it be a problem if I appear for my first appearance on time (9:30am on the DAT) but my attorney appears around 11am-12pm? My concern is what if a bench warrant is issued? Technically I am there on time but my attorney has not arrived, what can possibly happen?

This is for the Criminal Court in Brooklyn

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Speak with your attorney, normally attorneys may run a little late or may be in several parts om the same building. If you are in the right room at the proper time let them know your attorney is running late, then there is no bench warrant since you are there. The warrant relates to you being there not your attorney. Your attorney can submit an affirmation of unavailability if they are not going to be there or they have a previous engagement. In short speak with your attorney. Your fact pattern should not be a problem.

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Mr. Lutzky's advise is perfect. The chances of the case being called at 9.30 is slim. If they call the case before your attorney is there. Stand up , and say, "I'm here, I'm waiting for my attorney Mr./Ms ____________." They will push you further back.

3. Howard A. Schwartz

Answered . A warrant will not issue if you appear on time. If your name is called just state that you are waiting for your attorney.

4. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . They won't issue a bench warrant without calling your name (case). Typically the cases are called in the order that they are signed in by the attorneys. When you hand your DAT ticket into the court officers, just tell them that you are awaiting private counsel and they won't call you before the lawyer gets there.