Derivative Citizenship for Adults

Chicago, IL |

Hello. I'm from the Philippines. I was born out of wedlock to a US Citizen father. He was already a US citizen years before I was born. My parents had been separated for so many years and I only got to know my dad and have had communication with him when I was 16 years old. He wants to take me to the US through citizenship transmission. I'm already 24 years old. Can i still apply for Derivative Citizenship for Adults?

Yes, it might be possible. But it is a bit tricky and may require a DNA test.

Meet with an immigration lawyer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

In addition to a DNA test, it will require a full process via Permanent residence.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

There really is no such thing as "Derivative Citizenship for Adults." Whether you were born a US citizen depends on the full facts of the case.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Immigration