Derivative asylum based green card and renewal of national passport

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

Can I renew my national passport for traveling? I know I am supposed to use RTD, but not all embassies issue visa in RTD, and some countries just don't know what it is (talking abt Poland, Czech Republic). I am thinking on going to Europe (not COP) next summer, and I am not sure if its ok to renew a passport. I have 2 more years before I can apply for naturalization. So would it be ok to renew a passport?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can do whatever you want. There is no law, just yet, that precludes you from renewing your national passport, especially if your national passport is of a country different from that from which the asylum was granted to the principle. I am not saying yours is, I am just pointing out another nuance. You can have a long conversation about that not being a good policy, I am referring to renewing the national passport, but it will do no harm to you if you renew your national passport or travel on it.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Majid Vasigh


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It should be, yes.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is never wise to renew a passport from a country of which you and your family fled.

    I suggest that you get a RTD and learn how to be patient for 2 more years.

    You are super lucky to be in the US ... don't push your luck.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics

Green card holders and travel

Leaving the United States without filing a reentry form may cause the authorities to believe you have abandoned your permanent residency.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,102 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,102 answers this week

3,357 attorneys answering