Deportation

I took plea on the charge endagering a welfare of a Charls less than 16 in 2010. This charge has the deportation problem , I am a green card holder. So that I filled 440 motion to vacate my plea, but lower court denied the motion. So I Applealed in the court of appeales , New York states highest court. I don't have to bee here for the appeal, so I want to go back to my country for 2 or 3 years because I have some business there. I know green card holders must have to come to USA every year to renew the visa. But I know that we can apply for 2-3 years visa extension. So can I apply for a 3 year extension by filing I 90 form? My appeal in the appelleate court , so is there any problem to go to immigration office ? If I win my appeal then I can come back to USA.

Huston, ID -

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

The conviction may render you inadmissible to the U.S., but of course if your conviction is vacated there should be no problem.

Alexus Paul Sham

Alexus Paul Sham

Immigration Attorney - The Woodlands, TX

Generally you need to file an I-131 re-entry permit to be away from the US for over a year. Your conviction could also create problems for you when you try to re-enter the US. Consult an immigration attorney.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

There is no such thing, but you may be referring to a re-entry permit, which allows some prolonged absences from the US without abandoning your green card. I am concerned about your conviction though as it may create problems at the border when you are coming back. I would recommend consulting with an experienced attorney before you travel.