Skip to main content


Saint Louis, MO |
Filed under: Immigration court

A friend of mine was deportated about 3 years ago because of a traffic violation. He left the country voluntarily. Is there anything that can be done for him? By the way most of his family is US citizens

Attorney Answers 4


People are not deported for traffic violations - is it possible that your friend was put into proceedings as the result of a traffic offense, but the actual charge in immigration court was just that he was here illegally? It sounds like your friend took "voluntary departure" in lieu of deportation - whether he can come back and when depends on a number of details, such as which of his specific relatives are citizens (parents, siblings, spouse, child), whether applications for status were ever filed on his behalf, and his overall immigration and criminal histories. You should consult an immigration attorney directly with more information so that he or she can advise you about his options. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


Possibly. We would need additional facts to determine whether there is anything that an be done.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Your posting does not make sense. Traffic violations are not a basis for deportation. Deportation is not "left the country voluntarily."

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



Well Mr Ferrari he was told that he had to leave the country and he was given a certain amount of time to leave voluntarily or otherwise he was gonna be removed from it. I guess that means deportation, doesn't it? But thanks for the answer anyway


Best option is an in depth consultation with an attorney. Depending on his family here, and the length of time he was in the US, he may be able to.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics