Deportation. My husband was also incarcerated. He will be released in a month we would like to know what is be

Asked about 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I missed my court date due to not knowing about it. I presently have just relocated to another state. Now I'm in deportation. What can I do?

1. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Time is not your friend. While you can, find a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Just the fact that you are being placed in removal/deportation proceedings does not mean you are actually going to be removed/deported. You will have a chance to fight the case and may be able to find relief and stay in the US. Good luck!

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Seek to immediately get legal representation. In the detention center you can get a list of the pro bono or reduced cost attorneys. Should you be made to appear in a court hearing before having been able to secure legal representation, ask the judge to reschedule your hearing, so that you can have time to have time to find a lawyer. Before having consulted with an attorney who went over the options for relief you might have in your situation, do not agree to sign any documents ICE might hand you, agreeing to being deported. Talk to an attorney first.
    Hang in there and best of luck to you!

3. Nicolas Andres Olano

Pro

3

Answered . You have 180 day to file a motion to reopen based upon exceptional circumstances. You need an attorney.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.