Skip to main content

Deportation. My husband was also incarcerated. He will be released in a month we would like to know what is be

Jacksonville, FL |

I missed my court date due to not knowing about it. I presently have just relocated to another state. Now I'm in deportation. What can I do?

Attorney Answers 3


Seek to immediately get legal representation. In the detention center you can get a list of the pro bono or reduced cost attorneys. Should you be made to appear in a court hearing before having been able to secure legal representation, ask the judge to reschedule your hearing, so that you can have time to have time to find a lawyer. Before having consulted with an attorney who went over the options for relief you might have in your situation, do not agree to sign any documents ICE might hand you, agreeing to being deported. Talk to an attorney first.
Hang in there and best of luck to you!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. Time is not your friend. While you can, find a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Just the fact that you are being placed in removal/deportation proceedings does not mean you are actually going to be removed/deported. You will have a chance to fight the case and may be able to find relief and stay in the US. Good luck!

Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You have 180 day to file a motion to reopen based upon exceptional circumstances. You need an attorney.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics