Skip to main content

Deportation. A friend is being held in Arizona to be deported back. Can the deporation be stopped?

New York, NY |

My friend has been here illegally for years and has been working in various jobs. She had a baby five years ago, and the baby is an American Citizen. My friend decided to go back home a couple of years ago and left the baby with her brother. She tried to get back into the country in May and was detained in Arizona and is awaiting deporation. Can something be done to stop the deportation. Her daugher is an American Citzen does this help her case. Do we need to hire an attorney to help her? My understanding is that she declined to speak to anyone in the Consulate. I am writing on behalf of the husband who is also here illegally. Can anything be done done to keep his wife here in t e states?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If this is the first time she is placed in removal proceedings, she will have the opportunity to apply for relief from removal before an Immigration Judge, if she is eligible for any. It is always better to be represented by an experienced immigration attorney, who will determine what relief she is possibly eligible for.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  2. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney to see if she has any reliefts from deportation available to her.

  3. Yes, you absolutely need an attorney. First to determine what if anything can be done, than to do it. My firm handles these types of cases.
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics