Skip to main content

Denied uninsured motor vehicle coverage

Canton, OH |

I was injured in a motorcycle accident in July. I broke my wrist, elbow and leg. The leg was the worse of the injuries. I have a titanium plate and screws in my leg. I was cut off by a car and laid the bike down. The car did not stop so I do not know who the other individual was. Their was a witness to the accident that described the accident to the police because i was unconscious. I was contacted by my insurance company who started the claim. After their investigation the claim was denied because my learners permit was expired on the date of the accident. The same insurance company paid to repair my motorcycle. Should i contact a lawyer to fight the denial of the claim?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Yes. A great deal will depend on the specific language in your policy. Contact an attorney with injury and insurance experience. With injuries like your describing this is one I think is fighting for.

  2. You really have no choice. Get a personal injury attorney, take your policy to him/her. Injuries are too substantial to just let it go.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

  3. ABSOLUTELY. You have serious injuries and require the assistance of a qualified experienced personal injury lawyer. Insurance companies DENY claims. The reason every other commercial is for insurance is not because they are losing money! You need someone who will fight this, most likely with success my guess. Pick a lawyer who specializes in personal injury.

  4. Yes, of course. Don't play lawyer, retain one. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

  5. Yes, you should consult with a personal injury attorney to investigate the denial of coverage. You should request a certified copies of both your policy and declarations page from your insurance company. Be sure the copies you receive cover the date of the incident. If you had health insurance, you should have your medical providers submit your bills to your health insurance carrier. You should contact the hospitals and request forms to apply for Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP) benefits. You should also get copies of the police report and all witness statements. I wish you the best.

    For information purposes only and is NOT intended to be legal advice and/or tax advice. You should always consult with an Attorney to discuss your rights and responsibilities.

  6. Yes. Hire an experienced personal injury lawyer to fight for you. You really have no other choice unless you want to walk away from your claim.

  7. Absolutely yes, hire an attorney, as the others have said. Make certain that you retain an attorney that has experiencing in processing accidents that involve motorcyclists. There are likely some nuances in your jurisdiction that come into play since you were on a motorcycle.

    My Standard Disclaimer: this general information does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation prior to taking any actions or making any omissions.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics