Denied a B1/B2 under 214(b) TWICE in 2007. Will this impede a Green Card application in 2012?

Bend, OR |

I told the US Consul about my US citizen boyfriend when trying to obtain a visa to visit him in 2007 and so was denied under 214(b) (could not prove intention to return). That boyfriend is now my husband and he is petioning for me to get an IR1 visa. Am terrified my previous B1/B2 denial will come back to haunt us...

1. Sleep well and talk to an attorney tomorrow ... this is a semi-repeat of another question which you asked.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree with my colleague. You may have options available to you but meet with an attorney to see what those options might be.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@emsylaw.com; 503-227-0965. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. It is good that you disclosed your relationship when applying for a B visitor visa to the U.S. Any denial of a visa will draw negative attention to your file. It causes an immigration officer to pause for a moment to look at your file and then start looking for problems. The visa denials are a small negative since you told the truth and the denials are old. I've included below some more information about applying for a B visa while dating an American.

This information is general in nature and is not legal advice to be relied upon for any particular matter.