DeletingDefendentsinFederalCivilCaseProSe

Asked almost 2 years ago - Boston, MA

Prose...federalcivilcase......Inamedsomedefendantsinmyinitialpleadingthatifoundoutthaticannotsuethedefendanthasalreadyfiledthereanswer.......(whichismotiontodismiss).....ifiledoppositiontomotiontodismiss...........Whatdoihavetodototakethedefendantsofmycomplaint...doineedtofilesomekindofamotion?

Pro se ...federal civil case......I named some defendants in my initial pleading that I found out that I can not sue the defendant has already filed there answer.......(which is motion to dismiss).....i filed opposition to motion to dismiss...........What do I have to do to take the defendants off my complaint........sorry some how all the words got put to gether

1. William T Harrington

10

1

Answered . First, you should not represent yourself in federal court. If you have a claim, you should likely be able to find an attorney. Obviously I have no idea whether you should dismiss a defendant . However, to do so, you should file a notice od dismissal without prejudice with respect to that defendant only. Look at Federal Civil Rule 41 closely before you do so. It may be that you will need all parties who have appeared in the action sign a stipulation of dismissal. Make sure it is limited to that defendant only.

2. Emma A. Kremer

8

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Harrington's answer. You should have an attorney represent you in federal court because the decision whether or not to dismiss one or multiple defendants is highly fact specific. If you do dismiss any defendants, do so without prejudice. It's unclear from your question whether you feel that you need to remove the defendant or defendants because a motion to dismiss was filed. You stated that you filed an opposition, so has there been any ruling on that yet? Is there a reason why you cannot sue one or all of the defendants? You really should consult an attorney admitted to practice in federal court. Best of luck.

3. Sagi Shaked

Pro

5

1

Answered . I agree with others. Don't represent yourself, it's a bad idea.

One or more answers have been taken down.