Definition of OUTSIZING?

Sarasota, FL |
Filed under: Debt

I have a Countrywide (BOA) mortgage. I read they just made a settlement for "outsizing!"
Can anyone tell me what Countrywide did?
In 2006, Countrywide and/or our homeowner's insurance company demanded we replace our roof, just after the hurricanes in FL . We couldn't afford to lose insurance. New insurance companies wouldn't even talk to Floridians! We were told to either replace it ourselves or they would (and then charge us) or they'd just cancel our insurance. Consequently, we had to take out a 2nd mortgage with Chase which has become another nightmare you've given advice about. Worse yet, even the contractor replacing the roof agreed with us that it did not need replacing right then... we could have waited AT LEAST another couple of years!

1. In this context, outsizing means inflating fees and charges. You can find more information at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/06/countrywide.shtm and file a complaint with the FTC regarding your situation or call them to see if they think your situation might be included in the settlement.