Definition of "Client" under a non-solicitation clause (AZ)

Asked over 2 years ago - Chandler, AZ

If company that provides expert witness services is frequently hired by attorneys representing specific clients in specific cases, would the actual company "client" be considered the attorney (law office) who hired the expert, or the party in the suit? If a non-solicitation clause uses only the wording "client" - would one or both fall into the category? Note that all contracts are signed by attorney only (not represented party). How would courts view this?

1. Stephen F. Banta

1

Answered . If I could accurately determine how judges viewed particular issues, I would quit practicing law and just consult!

The most conservative reading of the clause would be to cover both attorneys and their clients. If you see a lot of repeat business from the same law firms, then I would guess that the clause was meant to apply to the law firms as clients. If you see a lot of repeat business from the parties, and the law firms change, I would guess the clause was meant to apply to the parties as clients.