Skip to main content

Deffered disposition/adjudication for Public Intoxication?

Fort Worth, TX |

Hi, I am a resident of UK and I am in US for a training in Texas. I was arrested for PI on a Sunday night, locked in till morning and then presented before a judge. Since i didn't know anything about how things work, i pleaded no contest and the judge gave me a $217 fine to be paid in 30 days. I want to know if I can go pay my fine and ask for a deferred disposition or adjudication now? I have no offence under my name in the past and I don't want to live with this all my life. I tried contacting a lawyer but he said since i said no contest and the judge gave his sentence, I can not do anything but to pay the fine and have this criminal offence under my name.

Attorney Answers 1


You are right and that attorney was wrong. If you just entered the plea Sunday, an attorney can file a Motion for New Trial to flip the plea to deferred. I would absolutely do this to keep your record clean. However, this has to be done quickly. So call a few more ticket attorneys in Ft. Worth immediately.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful




Thanks for the answer. I actually went to the municipal court and asked the lady at the cash counter. She gave me time with the judge, who passed it on to the attorney. The public attorney was very cool with it and gave me DD for 3 months and said the case will be dismissed if I dont repeat the same offence. Luckily I did some research and didn't listen to the attorney I called.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers


Good news! So glad that worked out for you!



Hi, I have successfully completed the 3 months of probation. Now my question is will the case be automatically dismissed or do I have to do something about it? Also will it still show in my criminal history when I apply for visa or work permit for other countries. If yes, how can I get it removed. If it means coming to US and meeting an attorney, I am ready to do it or if it can be done over the phone from UK?

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics