Deffered disposition/adjudication for Public Intoxication?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

Hi, I am a resident of UK and I am in US for a training in Texas. I was arrested for PI on a Sunday night, locked in till morning and then presented before a judge. Since i didn't know anything about how things work, i pleaded no contest and the judge gave me a $217 fine to be paid in 30 days. I want to know if I can go pay my fine and ask for a deferred disposition or adjudication now? I have no offence under my name in the past and I don't want to live with this all my life. I tried contacting a lawyer but he said since i said no contest and the judge gave his sentence, I can not do anything but to pay the fine and have this criminal offence under my name.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

Answered . You are right and that attorney was wrong. If you just entered the plea Sunday, an attorney can file a Motion for New Trial to flip the plea to deferred. I would absolutely do this to keep your record clean. However, this has to be done quickly. So call a few more ticket attorneys in Ft. Worth immediately.