Deferred sentence for petty theft in WASH state 4 years ago. CALI. res. now with pending grand theft charges-Jail time expected?

Azusa, CA |

I plead not guilty to a petty theft back in Washington State 4 years ago. Got the sentencing deferred. Pending grand theft charge now as a California resident. Obviously it depends on the case, but I'm new to the California judicial system. How will that prior look for me now that I'm dealing with this? Will it make things worse for me?

The prior offense will affect your sentence depending upon its ultimate disposition. If it became a conviction due to a violation of the deferred sentencing agreement, it will hurt you. Obtain counsel to represent you in the GT in CA.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

It does not look great because you have a history of Petty Theft. Grand Theft is almost always a felony in California. Certain Los Angeles County courts are much tougher than others. Many District Attorneys will ask for some jail time. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney to handle this matter with you. Give me a call today if you would like to discuss this matter.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

I agree that it depends if the case resulted ultimately in a conviction. Any prior criminal history can impact sentencing on an open case. The good news is that if it does show up it won't be a felony prior so the effect wouldn't be as negative if it was a prior Grand Theft. Good luck.