Deferred sentence for petty theft in WASH state 4 years ago. CALI. res. now with pending grand theft charges-Jail time expected?

Asked over 1 year ago - Azusa, CA

I plead not guilty to a petty theft back in Washington State 4 years ago. Got the sentencing deferred. Pending grand theft charge now as a California resident. Obviously it depends on the case, but I'm new to the California judicial system. How will that prior look for me now that I'm dealing with this? Will it make things worse for me?

1. Richard Franklin Taub

1

Answered . The prior offense will affect your sentence depending upon its ultimate disposition. If it became a conviction due to a violation of the deferred sentencing agreement, it will hurt you. Obtain counsel to represent you in the GT in CA. www.taubcriminaldedense.com

2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

1

Answered . It does not look great because you have a history of Petty Theft. Grand Theft is almost always a felony in California. Certain Los Angeles County courts are much tougher than others. Many District Attorneys will ask for some jail time. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney to handle this matter with you. Give me a call today if you would like to discuss this matter.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. Wade Jonathan Skalsky

Pro

Answered . I agree that it depends if the case resulted ultimately in a conviction. Any prior criminal history can impact sentencing on an open case. The good news is that if it does show up it won't be a felony prior so the effect wouldn't be as negative if it was a prior Grand Theft. Good luck.