Deferred prosecution program. What does this mean?

Asked 9 months ago - Riverside, CA

In the signed document about the deferred prosecution program, it says "I understand that I have been recommended to be a participant in a deferred prosecution program and that the charges against me will not be prosecuted so long as I am in a program participant...." This occurred when I was a juvenile in Florida. I passed the program successfully.

I am applying for a private university. In the university application, it states "Statement of Disclosure: Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any felony or misdemeanor (other than minor traffic violations) including juvenile charges, drug and alcohol offenses, deferred prosecutions/judgments, and expunged convictions?:*"

Do I reply yes or no?

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . I agree with other counsel and this is a sweet deal, to avoid the problems people suffer when convicted of crimes.

2. Brian K Wanerman

1

Answered . You need to consult with a Florida attorney to be certain.

3. J. Denise Carter

2

Answered . Generally, it means they are agreeing not to prosecute you and if you honour the terms the case is dismissed. In terms of the application, you may need to disclose it because I would assume you were charged and the entered the DPA? If they offered you the DPA before you were charged or instead of being charged, then I don't believe you will have to disclose. You might speak with a Florida juvenile lawyer and find out if juvenile records are sealed. I practise in Missouri and here they can't be looked at once you are 18, and the language used in juvenile court is different, it is worded as admit or deny an allegation rather than plead guilty or not guilty. I hope that was helpful