Deferred prosecution program. What does this mean?

Riverside, CA |

In the signed document about the deferred prosecution program, it says "I understand that I have been recommended to be a participant in a deferred prosecution program and that the charges against me will not be prosecuted so long as I am in a program participant...." This occurred when I was a juvenile in Florida. I passed the program successfully.

I am applying for a private university. In the university application, it states "Statement of Disclosure: Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any felony or misdemeanor (other than minor traffic violations) including juvenile charges, drug and alcohol offenses, deferred prosecutions/judgments, and expunged convictions?:*"

Do I reply yes or no?

Generally, it means they are agreeing not to prosecute you and if you honour the terms the case is dismissed. In terms of the application, you may need to disclose it because I would assume you were charged and the entered the DPA? If they offered you the DPA before you were charged or instead of being charged, then I don't believe you will have to disclose. You might speak with a Florida juvenile lawyer and find out if juvenile records are sealed. I practise in Missouri and here they can't be looked at once you are 18, and the language used in juvenile court is different, it is worded as admit or deny an allegation rather than plead guilty or not guilty. I hope that was helpful

I agree with other counsel and this is a sweet deal, to avoid the problems people suffer when convicted of crimes.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

You need to consult with a Florida attorney to be certain.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

Juvenile law topics

Recommended articles about Juvenile law