Deferred Adjudication and Gun ownership

In Texas in June of 1999 I led Guilty to a Felony theft charge and received a deferred adjudicated sentence . I completed the probation in June of 2004 and I have not been in any trouble since then . Fast forward to 2013 and the BI denied me for a firearm purchase . Does Colorado view a deferred sentence as a conviction ? Should I appeal ?

Longmont, CO -

Karl J Geil

Karl J Geil

Criminal Defense Attorney - Denver, CO

A common problem with CBI records, and other law enforcement agency records, is that those agencies do not track what happens to a case after an arrest is made. That information will be in a court file, not a law enforcement agency file, and courts do not report to law enforcement agencies. If your case ultimately ended in a dismissal of all charges, get a certified copy of the court record from the court and send it to the CBI with a cover letter asking the CBI to update your record to show that all charges were dismissed. Until you provide them with that record, their knowledge of your case ended with the arrest.

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Criminal Defense Attorney - Centennial, CO

Coloraod does not view a deferred "sentence" as a conviction, but it is difficult from your post to tell exactly what happened. Bring your paperwork to a local criminal defense attorney so that you can be fully apprised of your rights.

Good luck to you.

DD

James A Reed

James A Reed

Criminal Defense Attorney - Colorado Springs, CO

Check with the judicial district where you pled. It might be as simple as the record being misreported. That seems to happen a lot with Deferred Sentences. If that's the case, ask the local court to send in a corrected record that shows not only that it was a deferred, but that you successfully completed it.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

Criminal Defense Attorney - Austin, TX

A deferred adjudication is not a conviction under Texas law. The Feds treat a deferred as a conviction. You can go back and get your Texas case records sealed.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
512-495-1813
Austin Probation Lawyer
Texas Expungement Lawyer