Skip to main content

Deferred action only for people in school?

Los Angeles, CA |
Filed under: Deferred action

can i apply for deferred action and work permit if i never graduated high school?
im currently enrolling in school to obtain my credits and graduate thru a GED or high school equivalency program this year. i only attended high school for 2 years but did not obtained my diploma.


Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Yes - based on what USCIS has told the public so far, it sounds as though you would meet the educational requirement for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

    This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Subject to the publication of the final USCIS directives on August 15 this year, I assume it is OK if you are still enrolled at high school, working towards graduating thru a GED.

  3. You have a good shot ... meet with an attorney ASAP.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  4. Enroll into a GED program and consult an attorney to make sure you're not overlooking any other factors.

    Best of luck,

    Sanjay Paul, Esq.
    (888) 373-2602

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics