Deferred Action and Mexican Passport and Travel.

Asked about 1 year ago - Baytown, TX

Hi I applied for deferred action on August 23,2012 and did my biometric appointment on sept 13,2012 I'm still waiting for immigration to approve me so my case is still pending my question is I got my unexpired Mexican passport I need to travel from Houston to Michigan and back to houston, Can I use my Mexican passport and take my paperwork to show that I'm waiting for a immigration benefit to aboard a plane?

1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

1

Answered . If you are still waiting for a decision, then there may be a problem.

Any extended travel particularly to a border state like Michigan may cause trouble. Too many to count have turned down the wrong road and encountered the CBP or accidentally crossed the bridge in Detroit to Canada. You need a valid unexpired identification document to travel. The CBP or ICE are known to inspect buses and trains within a certain number of miles within border. Detroit is awfully close to the border.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you complicate the situation. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Best to wait until you have been approved.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . You can try.

BUT ... until they approve your deferred action ... you are NOT LEGAL in the US and TSA/ICE could give you a problem at the airport.

Most likely they'll "let you go" ... after an hour or two of delay .. if they 'spot' you.