Deferred Action and DUI

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fairfax, VA

I meet all requirements for the deferred action. However, in December 2011, I was arrested for DUI in Virginia. And in March 2012, I pleaded guilty and sentenced to 30 days but suspended. I was also sent to complete the VASAP, and I have completed it. My question is if there any way that I can appeal my DUI, so I can be eligible to the deferred action? Thank you.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . A DUI conviction disqualifies you from getting deferred action. Maybe, you could get the conviction expunged after a certain amount of time.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . 1 DUII shouldn't be a problem ... but, you should meet with BOTH a criminal defense and Immigration lawyers.

___________________________________________________________
    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW
    franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com
    SKYPE MULTI-PARTY VIDEO AVAILABLE

3. Javier E Morales

1

Answered . Per the most recent guidelines issued by USCIS a DUI will disqualify you from eligibility for deferred action.

4. Alan Douglas Dobson

1

Answered . DUI will disqualify you from deferred action, but USCIS does reserve the right to review the "totality of the circumstances" as follows:

Notwithstanding the above, the decision whether to defer action in a particular case is an individualized, discretionary one that is made taking into account the totality of the circumstances.

I would seek an immigration attorney to determine what the best course of action for you in your particular circumstances.