Skip to main content

Deferred Action: I qualify for it but i dont have any proof for the year 2007 and 2009 can i write an affidativ?

Denver, CO |

I came to the U.S when i was 5 years old, however i never could have anything under my name, bills, cell phone, rent, etc.. since i didnt have a valid i.d to acquire certain things, and now im lost because i dont have any proof, do i have to prove every month from June 15th, 2007- June 15th, 2012? i need some input, could people i know wirte these letters for me as addidtional proof, like teachers i have know since childhood? i would greatly appreciate your help, Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You do not need proof for every month. Affidavits from people who know you are not considered an "evidance out of your hands" because it is not an independent source -- people could write stating that you were here since 2009 because they feel sorry for you or want to help you. You need to provide enough independent information to establish that you were here for the duration of each year. So, even one independent piece of evidence per year plus affidavits may solve your issue. Here are some ideas for you: Did you go to school during those years; do you have dated photos of you with some landmarks to show they were taken in US, have you been claimed on a tax return as a dependent for someone, did you go to a doctor, hospital, or other public service place; did you receive immunizations; taken your dog to a vet, or signed any papers for anyone; received a traffic ticket, applied for a job and have dated rejection/acceptance letter addressed to you with a US address, Etc? Most importantly, find a good immigration attorney to assist you.


I agree with my colleague ... be creative ... if you had teachers, you must have report cards.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Sit down with one of the fantastic immigration law attorneys in Colorado to fully understand your rights.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


it is best to have evidence from at least every quarter -- bank records, medical bills, Facebook updates, employment records, Sea World pass with your name on it, cell phone bills, be creative and think of what you were doing those years and how you can prove it -- dated pictures with U.S. landmarks in them. Call me and we can discuss options for you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer