Default Divorce Judgement overturned

Somerset, NJ |

I recently was awarded a default divorce judgement in Middlesex County. Now the defendant in the case has petitioned the judge to vacate the default judgement stating that she had contacted the court clerks after receiving the final judgement and was informed that her response was sitting in their outbox and never got filed thus a default hearing should not have taken place at all. Is it possible that the judge can now vacate and overturn my divorce and has this ever been done before in New Jersey? I am about to remarry in 2 months and very concerned

It would appear that the default judgment could be reopened due to it being procedurally defective since service was not proper. However, depending on the other issues involved, it may be that the end result of a divorce decree is a goal of the defendant, too, such that this could be quickly cured if handled properly.

You should consult with a family law attorney immediately.

Good luck,
Chris
PS: Please mark this as a best answer if it is most helpful to you.

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, chris@cfaylaw.com, (267) 519-2719, www.cfaylaw.com. LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Pursuant to the requirements of U.S. Treasury Regulation Circular 230, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used to avoid penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to another person any tax-related matter.

The court will probably schedule you both to appear and go over the issues on the record. Unless he contests a material issue, the divorce. If the opposite occurs, however, there could be another hearing on the matter. You should definitely get a formal consultation with a family attorney, where all the documents will be reviewed.

I concur with the above contributors. It is likely that the court will not vacate the actual dissolution of the marriage but if there are questions as to equitable distribution, spousal or child support then the court may reopen the matter to address those issues.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.

There are reasons for her to obtain the vacation of the default judgment. You should retain an attorney to negotiate a resolution to your open issues.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

I agree with the other responses.

What the court may do (and what you may need to ask the court to do in case it doesn't think of this) is to "bifurcate" the issues if the judgment is vacated. That means that you'd still be divorced and free to remarry, but whatever issues existed would be open for resolution or a trial. The court rules carry a presumption against bifurcating divorces, but your facts are sufficiently unusual that I'd wager a court would agree that it's the only way to proceed.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.