Defamation Slander. My landlord defamed me to the police when I reported pot. It ia in writing in a police report?

Asked 7 months ago - Uxbridge, MA

Defamed, reported something to police I told him in confidence to put me in a negative light. Now upset at him and how police documented incidents. What type of lawyer do you get if one at all. And is it legal for a landlord to reveal information you told him in confidence?

1. Michael J. Szklasz

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . For libel/slander, you need to have an untruth (lie), malice (simply spitefulness is not enough), publication (verbally for slander), and damages (proveable in most circumstances unless the lie is especially damaging such as desease).

Pro

4

Answered . This is not defamation as no false statement of fact.

3. Tatiana Kadetskaya

2

Answered . There needs to be a false statement to be defamation, not simply a true statement that makes you look bad, but a defamation lawyer is the type of lawyer that handles these cases, so use Avvo's lawyer finder feature to find a local defamation lawyer in Uxbridge to discuss in full.

4. Richard Todd Rosenstein

2

Answered . Your post indicates that your landlord reported true information that you told him. This would not considered defamation. Defamation consists of false statements of facts that are disseminated to another party that causes damages. False statements that someone committed a crime can be considered "defamation per se." However, truth is a defense to a defamation action. A person does not have an expectation of privacy in disclosures of potential criminal conduct to a landlord. You should con act a criminal defense lawyer for consultation and advice.