Defamation of character via Facebook

Asked over 3 years ago - Mercer Island, WA

Another person and myself were in a debate about a sports topic on a radio personalities Facebook page which consists of the maximum 5,000 friends who can view the content. The other person has a less than stellar reputation throughout the site. I have debated with this person before and it has been all in fun, like I said its just about sports. But recently, he fabricated a fake message that he said was from me. He made it look as if I sent him a message with multiple threats, along with threats to his family. Normally a sports debate is not a big deal at all, unfortunately this crossed the line. He has allowed 5,000 plus people believe that I actually sent this message.What can I do besides the generic report to facebook? I know its a bit petty, but this needs to stop in the worst way.

Pro

1

3

Answered . Libel is publishing in print, which includes pictures, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his or her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Contact a local defamation lawyer for a free consultation to protect your rights and reputation.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . This sounds like a pretty clear terms of service violation which you need to report to the operators of that site and they should remove it. Why not do that and issue a vague reference to the offending posting indicating that it was in no way originated by yo but by a third offending party. Then move on.

To involve the legal system in this is akin to using an elephant gun to swat a fly. Defamation requires proof that incorrect statements of fact, not opinion, were made to third parties and that it caused harm to you. Here is a link to a guide on defamation law to help you determine whether the law applies to your circumstances.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-kno...

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.