Defamation of Character/Slander in workplace.

Marion, NC |

I am an employee in a county run social services program. I was recently given a written reprimand for discussing confidential information with another county employee. This information is a lie with no substantiation of the truth by my direct supervisor. I even asked that she contact the other employee that I suppossedly spoke to but she refused to do so and moved forward with the disciplinary warning. I have a perfectly clean past and record and this warning based on complete hearsay will remain on my professional record for at least 18 months. I feel helpless to go above her head because the director of the organization approved the go-ahead with the warning as stated by my direct supervisor. I want this off my record but I like and need my job as well, help please! The other employee that I suppossedly spoke is willing to confirm on my behalf that I did not in fact speak to him about the case.

Defamation of character is the communication of false information stated as a fact which brings harm to an individual or an entity, such as a business.Slander is the term used when the defamation of character is spoken. This can be person to person or a person speaking to many people.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.