Defamation and Slander outside US

Asked about 1 year ago - Lebanon, NH

I am a US citizen who is currently living outside the US, even though my husband and I still own a home in NH. My husband has quite a bit of money and was unfortunately run over by a bus 2 years ago in the South American country where we currently live. He is incapacitated. I have been sued by three of my husband's siblings who would like to control my husband's money. The suits are full of easy-to-prove lies, defamation and slander. They include such claims as I tried to kill my husband to inherit his money and that I am a psychopath. The country were we are currently living has weak defamation laws, but one siblings suing me in So America is a US citizen who lives in CA. Is there anything I can do in the US as a US citizen to sue my brother-in-law living in CA for defamation?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have a local lawyer send a cease and desist letter.

  2. Timothy George Kerrigan

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Contact a lawyer who handles defamation claims in the area where your brother in law lives.

    No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,424 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,424 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering