Defamation, Wrongfully accused? I was fired at Jcpenney after five years i was accused of giving myself discounts. Not true.

New Baltimore, MI |

I had managers approval for two different price match transactions as well as an ad from kohls they kept and stapled to their receipt.I was rung up from someone else not myself. I have witness plus they could have pulled up cameras to see we asked for managers approval over the phone but didn't want to. Can they lie about me like this? I received a letter from State of Michigan stating jcpenney claims this but has no proof so i am collecting unemployment. I went to a catholic school for eight years i would never do such a thing as steal etc. This reflects bad on my name and who I am. . They say innocent until proven guilty so I want them to take back the lie and something to be done. This was five years of my work experience..reference.

I am very sorry to hear of your problems and concerns but do not beleive that bringing a suit on your behalf would cover the costs which you would incur. I too am very jealous of my professional reputation for being honest and forthright. I am also aware that that does not mean that that is the universally held opinion regarding myself.
In your case, it would appear that at least protested your application for him on that, most probably on grounds of employee dishonesty, and that they lost that case. Therefore if I was ever questioned by any person regarding your time at Penny I would simply respond that there was a misunderstanding, that there was an allegation regarding improper discounting and it was never sustained, and fact over turned by the state of Michigan administratively.
I hope the above advice helps, and wish you well in the future.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Though I can appreciate your concerns it doesn't appear that your damages warrant bringing a claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

The cost of a lawsuit would likely far exceed a recovery if any.

The accusation and conduct of the employer as described here do not constitute actionable defamation.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.