Deed on husband and/or his parents Mortgage and Personal Loan liens signed by husband only.

Brooklyn, NY |

I would like to understand the risk of buying a Condo and facing a divorce . Deed under husband and / or his parents ( husband signed Quit Claim Deed after mortgage approval ) , Mortgage under husband only , Personal Loan under husband only from his parents . I did not sign any papers and didn't know anything about the purchase . Purchase price $ 230K , mortgage $ 218 . K for 30 / y @ 3 . 75% , personal loan from his parents $ 35K . for 30 / y @ 10s . ( to cover closing costs ) . Will I be able to claim my 1 / 2 share in the condo in case of divorce ? I would appreciate your advice and clarification ? is it legal at all ?

Consult with an experienced divorce lawyer and complete a statement of net worth. Your attorney can go over the entire financial situation with respect to the equitable distribution of marital assets and debts. Appraisal of the property will be necessary.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mr Lutsky gives good advice. Generally any property acquired during the course of a marriage becomes marital property. Your ownership would still be subject to any liens or encumbrances on the property, including the loan from your in laws. Your facts seem to indicate that there may not be any equity in the property if you take the in laws loan into account. The real question is whether despite the in laws loan to your husband are they treating it as a " de facto " gift. Good-luck.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

You need to consult with a divorce attorney. While you may be entitled to some share in the property it is not automatically 1/2 as you seem to indicate as New York is not a community property state. New York is an equitable distribution state which basically means a judge can divide assets in any mannor he feels is fair and equiatable given the circumstances of the parties. In this case there may not be any equity in the home so there may not be anything to split up. Consult with a divorce attoreny immediately.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt