Deed not properly distributed during probate 5 years ago

Asked over 1 year ago - Concord, CA

My grandmothers home was left to 3 of her daughters. During probate ONLY one of the three daughters names was put on the deed unbeknownst to the third sister. My grandmother passed 5 years ago. Is it too late to do anything?

1. Peter S. Myers

Pro

5

1

Answered . If the name was changed in violation of a Court Order (for example a Probate Order on Final Distribution), then you would have a claim, probably for fraud. The statute of limitations issue ("is it too late?") depends upon when you discovered the fraud. There is what is called "equitable tolling" (a suspension of time) for the period of time the fraud was unknown or concealed to the victims.

2. Christine James

Pro

5

1

Answered . The other attorneys are correct. Sit with an attorney, look at the title and the Petition for Final Distribution. Usually a representative cannot be discharged without documentation that the deed was properly recorded. There may be fraud claims and other issues, but don't wait. Know that you know the clock is ticking.

3. Gregory Paul Benton

4

1

Answered . The time to do something is dependent upon a number of factors such as when did you discover this, was it done fraudulently and what were the orders of the probate court. But, you need to do something quickly or else you wil have run out of time.

4. Charles Adam Shultz

4

1

Answered . Again, information still missing. How was a deed prepared during probate. No authority. Title is transferred by the order of final distribution upon Petition. That would have required notice. If you got notice and didnt speak up, depending on the amount of time, you may have lost your rights. If you never got notice, the order may have been procured by fraud. Again, timing is an issue. YOU NEED TO CONTACT a probate attorney and review the probate court file to determine what happened, what was represented and when.

5. James P. Frederick

4

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You may need to reopen the probate estate in order to object to what was done. You will need to consult a probate attorney, right away, to make sure that you proceed properly.

James Frederick