Debtors calls for old account that i settled with att

East Orange, NJ |

she called yesterday saying i owe 1014.84. I told her att couldnt give me service in my area so i made a deal with them , and paid off the phones and thats it. But i told her att never told me anything about 1014.84 bill. So i have to call the att to find out. She keeps telling we can settle this for 456 dollars and close it of.. i Said i wont until i call att. She calls me today and tells me if i call att that i wont be eleible for a discount and they will want the full 1014.84 bill and then when i asked my questions she hangs up on me? was this right? what can i do

1. Ignore her and work it out with AT&T.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. There are always specific facts that are important for an attorney to review before providing advice to a Client. In no way should you rely on the response provided herein to conduct your legal affairs on your own. You should always hire an attorney before you rely on advice provided.

2. Do not accept anything that is oral. I don't know how old the debt is. It may be too old to sue.

3. Without knowing more, it appears the debt collector may have violated the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act ["FDCPA"]. When the collector calls again, get the full name of the collection agency. Have a pad and pen so that you can take contemporaneous notes of the conversation. Be as accurate as you can and include the date and time of the call.

The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act ["FDCPA"], 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692-1692o, regulates the conduct of third-party debt collectors including debt collection law firms. The FDCPA defines and restricts abusive debt collection practices and provides specific rights for consumers. Among the acts prohibited by the FDCPA are : invasion of privacy, harassment, attempting to collect a debt for which the person is not responsible, false or deceptive representations, and unfair or unconscionable collection methods.
    The FDCPA provides for a successful plaintiff to recover statutory damages of up to $1000. as well as attorney's fees, costs, actual damages [including duress and mental anguish] and punitive damages which can be awarded for outrageous behavior.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POSTING IS FOR GENERAL INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE. THE FURNISHING OF THIS INFORMATION DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP REQUIRES THE FURNISHING, REVIEW, AND SIGNING OF A RETAINER AGREEMENT.

4. It sounds like a scam to me. They are legally required to provide documentation if you ask in writing.