Debtor's rights in WA state for debt collectors trying to garnish wages

Asked about 6 years ago - Washington

I'm being threatened by creditors for wage garnishment in the state of washington for breaking a lease in texas in 2004. I moved out of the apartment 4 months before the lease was over and i wasn't let off of it by an ex. He verbally agreed to take care of it and that he would continue to live there with a room mate. I then found out he broke the lease on month before it was up and didn't turn in any keys, or notify the apartments. I was told by the creditors that he had in fact spoken with them and told them he would pay shortly after that. Now they've lost touch with and are trying to garnish my wages.4 years later. I wasn't informed about any of this prior to July 15th of 2008. The creditor told me i had two days to make arrangements before he filed a suit against me. I still claim residency in Texas and will be moving back and the end of this month. Is there anything i can do? And can they really garnish my wages for something that happened so long ago?

1. Lu Ann Trevino

Pro

1

1

Answered . The statute of limitations for the collection of a debt in Texas is 4 years. Your wages cannot be garnished in Texas except for taxes and child support. You may be able to sue the collector for making false or misleading statements to coerce you into making a payment that you may not be liable for.