Debtor's rights against judgment that was issued in VA state

Asked almost 6 years ago - Gloucester, VA

I have had a judgement against me for 3 years. I received a summons to answer questions. I called SLM the loan company and they said my account total is 1905.17. The summons said the total is 3100.00. SLm said as far as they are concerned if i paid the 1905.17 to them they would file the release of lean. My question is if i pay them that amount can the lawyer still come after me for the others. When I go to court I am going to tell the judge I have paid SLM and they are sending a release of lean but it can take up to 30 days to get it.

1. Michael E Hendrickson

Answered . You should get a statement from the loan company stating that your payment of the $1905.17 is considered full and complete satisfaction of the debt. You can then take this statement to the court hearing and show it to the judge who will then likely dismiss the matter, and you should also be protected from any subsequent collection efforts of this debt by this statement.

Michael E. Hendrickson
    Attorrney & Counsellor at Law
    211 North Union Street Suite 100
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314