Debt Judgment Dismissed Without Prejudice/Garnishment

Asked over 1 year ago - Washington, DC

If a credit card company obtains a judgment against you but then dismisses it without prejudice, can they still garnish you years after the fact with no contact, no forewarning? I had a judgment against me in 2008 that was dismissed in 2010 because they couldn't locate me (I moved to another state), but my phone number remained the same the entire time & I've been at the same address for 4 years. Now in 2013, they sent my current employer a garnishment and mailed the copy to where I lived 4 years ago, so of course, I never received it. Can they garnish after they have dismissed the judgment? That's what I need to know. Does my having a copy of the dismissal carry any weight, or am I just stuck with it? The account has been closed since 2007 in Ohio. I now live in VA & the payment is HUGE!

1. Galen J Criscione

Answered . You should have an attorney look at it and perhaps the judgment can be vacated (even though it was dismissed there's something going on there). At the very least an attorney may be able to help settle this for lower payments. A full review of the case documents may shed some light on it.

2. Maxim Christopher Zawojski

1

Answered . I think you are confusing your terminology. A judgment cannot be dismissed. It is court order, a creditor cannot dismiss it without prejudice or otherwise. If you paid them, they might file a satisfaction of judgment, but that's not a dismissal.

A judgment is good for typically around 10 years (varies by state) and can usually be renewed. So if they have a judgment against you they can attempt to garnish your paycheck or levy your bank account at anytime during that period.

I have no idea what they would have dismissed, but dismissal without prejudice means that they can renew whatever claim they may have as long is it within the statutes of limitations, so whatever you have does not likely carry any weight. My guess is that they dismissed the suit the first time because they realized you didn't live there and then somehow got a default judgment somewhere else. Whether or not that is legal depends on more facts than you have provided. I would recommend contacting a local consumer protection attorney.