Debt colletion

Asked about 6 years ago - Tempe, AZ

Under Arizona Law what are the rights of a debtor under the fair debt collection laws? I want to make payment arrangements with a debt collector but do not how to go about doing this without being put through the ringer

1. Samuel John Glover

1

Answered . The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a federal law, not an Arizona law. Arizona may have state laws that apply, and I cannot speak to those.

As far as I know, there is no law that forces a debt collector to accept a payment arrangement, although they have to give you credit for any payments you do make.

If you do get a collector to agree to a payment arrangement, make sure they promise to stop collecting as long as you are making payments, including a promise not to sue.

Before you do so, however, you should request validation of the debt. Often, debt collectors have only a name, phone number, and a few other bits of information. You should make sure a debt is yours before you pay it.

Lastly, you should contact a consumer lawyer in your state. The NACA lawyer database is a great place to find one who will be able to help you understand your options.