Skip to main content

Debt collector sounds like he's from india and I think its a scam he keeps harrasing me at work I file a compliant with the FTC

Oak Lawn, IL |

He wants me to make my payment as a money gram and wants me to fax them my id is it a scam please help!!!!!!!! :(

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY INFORMATION OR ANY MONEY! This is a scam. Get a name and company name and number if possible and report it as a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If the FTC will take your complaint as you have stated, then file one with them too. Be very firm if he calls again and tell him you have contacted "the authorities." Maybe that will scare him enough to stop.


It's a scam. No legitimate collection agency will ask you to wire them money. You should ignore the calls, file a complaint at, and ask your phone company to block the number. Do not give any of your personal information to the collector.

I suspect you took a payday loan in the past few years. Most of the scams I've seen deal with people that have taken out payday loans in the past. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Information on Avvo should not be construed as legal advice, as each case is different. For information about your specific case, please contact a consumer law attorney, or contact me at


You know what - if they are from India or a scammer - don't answer the phone if you see them calling. They could care less about a FTC complaint.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


And just how do you think a company can refrain from answering the phone? They are calling the debtor at work. Besides, there is a U.S connection or they would not be calling based upon an alleged debt.



I m the only one working up front so i have to amswer the phone

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer