Debt collector guy wants me to fax him my id & wants me to send the payment as a money gram payment is it a scam?

Asked over 2 years ago - Oak Lawn, IL

Told him i m willing to pay but not right away he said no i want my money now & they keep harrsing me at work

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Stephen Agruss

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It's a scam. No legitimate collection agency will ask you to send them a copy of your ID or ask you to wire them money. You should ignore the calls, file a complaint at, and ask your phone company to block the number. Do not give any of your personal information to the collector.

    I suspect you took a payday loan in the past few years. Most of the scams I've seen deal with people that have taken out payday loans in the past. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

    Information on Avvo should not be construed as legal advice, as each case is different. For information about... more
  2. Daniel A Frischberg

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If this is a third party collector (not the original owner of the debt) and you have told them to stop calling you at work and they persist, they are in violation of the fair debt collection practices act (FDCPA). Don't send them a copy of your ID. Ask for verification of the debt both verbally and in writing via certified mail. Also, you could send them a cease & desist letter in writing via certified mail. If they continue to call you they will also be in violation of the FDCPA. Each violation may entitle you to compensation if you sue. If this is your only debt that is in collection, hiring an attorney to handle this matter would be wise.

    ***I have been designated as a federal debt relief agency by an act of Congress. Among other services, I help... more
  3. Marc Gregory Wagman

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . agreed likely a scam dont send a moneygram or your id unless they provide written proof of the debt. Ask who the company is they are collecting for and an address and then file a complaint with the FTC and state attorney general. Tell them that your employer does not allow phone calls at work and they must stop calling you. Demand proof of the debt by mail and over the phone if they contact you. Certified mail is best!

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,384 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,384 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering