Death letter of administration

Ellenton, FL |

I have one that was issued three years ago now the bank will not honor it

Letters of Administration will need to be certified within sixty days for a bank to honor the document. You also would still need to be actively serving as Personal Representative and not have been discharged through the Court. You can request updated certified documents from your Attorney or the clerk of court.

Thanks for advise was able to obtain one today, no problem at all just went to the clerk of the court with orginal. Appreciate the advise.

Dana Laganella Gerling

Dana Laganella Gerling

Great, I am glad that you resolved your issue.

In order for the bank to honor Letters of Administration, there must be an active probate. In addition, banks generally request a copy of the Letters that has been certified in the last 90 days. Your question does not specify what you were trying to accomplish, but you should either re-contact the attorney that assisted you in obtaining the Letters or you should consult with an experienced probate attorney.

Eileen D. Jacobs, Esq.
Office: 2505 W. Virginia Avenue
Tampa, FL 33607
(813) 877-9600
Mailing: P.O. Box 14953
Clearwater, Florida 33766-4953
(727) 787-6595

It is a matter of each financial institution's internal practice and procedures, but as the other attorneys answering this question have indicated it is common for a bank or other financial institution to reject letters of administration which have a certification which is more than 60 to 90 days old.

The reason they require relatively "freshly" certified letters of administration is that the institution wants to be fairly confident that the estate is still pending and that the personal representative still has legal authority to act on behalf of the estate before funds are released. For instance, if the estate has already been closed you have no further authority to act on behalf of the estate, even though you may still be holding a previously certified copy of your letters of administration. If the estate was closed and this particular account was missed it will be necessary to reopen the estate in order to get new letters of administration issued so that you can close the account.

You should contact the attorney who assisted with the probate for help with this issue.

Did you just locate this bank account? The Letters of Administration are expired. A Personal Representative must be represented by an attorney. To proceed, contact the attorney who handled the estate to assist you.

This response only reflects my personal views in my individual capacity. It does not necessarily represent the views of my law firm and is not sponsored or endorsed by them. The case-specific information contained in this response is based solely on opinion, and is provided only for educational purposes and is not intended to provide specific legal advice.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates