Death in 2008 attorney hasn't filed taxes, I'm trustee all is liquidated not enough $ to cover taxes what can be done?

Brandon, SD |
Filed under: Trustee Tax law

attorney has not contacted me since 4-2009 when said was asking for extension.

Well, the tax return should be filed as soon as possible to stop the interest/penalties from accruing. I'm not sure what type of taxes are due estate/trust income (1041)? Estate tax? State taxes of some sort?

If the estate was properly handled and closed for issues other than this it is likely that the estate beneficiaries were asked to sign an indemnification agreement of some sort which basically says you can go back to the beneficiaries and demand there pro-rata share of any debts due that were missed the first time around.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates