Death in 2008 attorney hasn't filed taxes, I'm trustee all is liquidated not enough $ to cover taxes what can be done?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brandon, SD

attorney has not contacted me since 4-2009 when said was asking for extension.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Well, the tax return should be filed as soon as possible to stop the interest/penalties from accruing. I'm not sure what type of taxes are due estate/trust income (1041)? Estate tax? State taxes of some sort?

    If the estate was properly handled and closed for issues other than this it is likely that the estate beneficiaries were asked to sign an indemnification agreement of some sort which basically says you can go back to the beneficiaries and demand there pro-rata share of any debts due that were missed the first time around.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,369 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,369 answers this week

2,725 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary