DEALING WITH A DEATH I NEED ANSWERS IMMEDIATELY . ONE OF MY SISTERS CLAIMS TO HAVE A POWER OF ATTORNEY AND WON'T LET US SEE HIM

Bakersfield, CA |

Our father passed away on Monday and she doesn't want a funeral . the Friday before he passed she was advised by law enforcement that the power of attorney she had did not give her the authority to keep us (certain children) from seeing him. After he died on Monday mysteriously she has obtained the proper paperwork. but she will not show any one of us the legal documents. what can I do to stop her from burying him before we find out

You need to file ex parte for relief with the probate court. Contact a local probate attorney immediately. You don't have time to try this on your own.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. I agree with Mr. Shultz. This is a matter which needs to be addressed immediately. You need an attorney to take the appropriate action before it is too late.

I am very sorry for your loss and the ongoing difficulties occasioned by your sister's actions.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

3. Go see a probate lawyer immediately, Do not waste time on this online forum. You need more than we can provide you.

By the way - a Power of Attorney terminates upon death. Your sister's POA, even if she had one, is worthless now.