DCFS case closed but indicated for neglect?

Henry, IL |

Hi, I had an incident a few months ago with a teenage babysitter and decided to get the police and DCFS involved as my daughter had come home covered in bruises. DCFS called today to tell me that they closed the case but indicated me for neglect for 5 years because when it happened, I was home, just inside and she was outside with the kids, because of me being home they said she wasn't technically babysitting. What does it mean now that the case is closed? She said there wasn't really any services she could offer me but to call her if I have any suggestions or questions. Since it's closed does that mean they aren't involved anymore? Or how does this work? Thank you!

I believe you should take the suggestion of the DCFS person that told you to "call her if (you) have any ....... questions"

Your post does not reveal sufficient information. Meanwhile, you have knowledge that DCFS did an investigation. That means DCFS knows more than what you posted here.

It sounds like DCFS is done with you. However, it will maintain in its State Central Registry the fact of an indicated report of neglect on you. This may pose problems for you if you should become involved with DCFS again or you seek to adopt or take guardianship of another, or if you plan to obtain a professional license (for example, teaching, day care operator, nursing) or working in such fields like that. If you want to challenge the indicated finding and have it expunged then follow the instructions that come with the notification letter from DCFS for filing an administrative appeal.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Follow-up with a licensed attorney who regularly practices in this field is strongly recommended.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody