Dcf has opened an investigation on me for dropping dirty for thc after giving birth do I need a lawyer? Wat is dcf's procedure ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

Live in Massachusetts and dcf's opened an investigation for my case what is their procedure? Will thy take my baby for marijaunna?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael L Rich

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . DCF can treat the case as either an initial assessment or an investigation. See the Integrated Casework Practice Model (ICPM) Fact Sheet that I have linked below.

    In either case, they will want to interview you and they have access to your and your baby's medical and other confidential records.

    Some practitioners suggest that people should never meet or speak with DCF without a lawyer. What you say can result in them taking your baby. Read my "When DCF Comes Calling: How to Try to Stay Out of the Fire When You're Already in the Frying Pan" blog post, linked below, to help you figure out if you want a lawyer.

    They can take your baby if they come to the conclusion that s/he is at risk of injury from abuse or neglect due to your use or history of drug use that inhibits your ability to parent your child in a minimally adequate manner.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this... more
  2. Brynn Sullivan Zawada

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Once DCF has received a 51A, they will open an investigation and either screen in the case or close it depending on what their investigation reveals. If DCF believes an emergency exists in which your child is in immediate danger because of your actions/conduct, they can petition the court for custody in what is called a Care and Protection Case. I would suggest that you speak with a family law attorney who has experience with DCF and these types of issues. In any event, you will want to make sure you are careful about what you say to DCF when they interview you. The best piece of advice i can give-stop doing drugs ESPECIALLY now that DCF is involved. Good luck.

    The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information... more
  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . yes

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,195 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,195 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering