Daughters Biological father now representative payee of her survivor benefits from my deceased husbands benefits?

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

Just curious. Seems a bit odd to me. My husband passed away and my daughter, his step daughter receives his survivor benefits. I was the representative payee. She moved with her biological father and he had the benefits transferred into his name. Which seems odd to me. When she was living with me he was not providing support for her but I was receiving benefits so it was fine. The moment she moves he jumps on the opportunity quickly behind my back and has them transferred. That is fine and all. It just seems odd that he is her biological. Both of her parents are alive and he is the payee from my spouses work benefits :-( I would much rather pay child support and have the benefits divided among his blood children. I guess that is totally legal?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Vance Tate Davis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Social Security has its own procedure for appointing a Representative Payee to oversee the benefits. Almost anyone could potentially be appointed the Rep Payee, so I'm not shocked that her biological father would have been appointed. From a legal point of view nothing is wrong here. So long as he is properly carrying out his role of handling and accounting for the benefits and making sure they are used for your daughter's best interest, it is likely that having been appointed he will continue to serve as the Rep Payee. If problems develop, then your daughter would be able to ask SSA to appoint a new and different Rep Payee.

    It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,718 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,718 answers this week

3,074 attorneys answering