Skip to main content

Daughter was given a citation for 3-3-23 consumption of minor and released. her friend was driving her car and was given a d.u.i

Columbus, GA |

empty alcohol bottle was in car, friend was driving, both were breathalized. she, age 18, was cited with a consumption of minor and told she could leave and have a friend come get her car and her. he is age 18 and on probation for a prior consumption of minor and was taken in to jail and charged with a d.u.i. what will her fine be? can i pay it and her not have to appear in court?

Attorney Answers 3


Because of your daughters age she will have to go to court because alcohol was involved. Be cautious if you go without an attorney, a plea to the underage drinking/possession charge could suspend her driving privileges.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You will probably find that she can not of just pay the ticket, but will have to show up. However, you don't really done want to do this anyway. This is the type of charge that would be best resolved through pretrial diversion, which will allow for eventual dismissal of the charges. Even though this is a minor charge, she really does not want an alcohol relayed conviction to be on her record for the test of her life.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You will most likely have to appear in court. If you were to simply pay the ticket, or plead guilty to the charge, this charge would suspend her driver's license. The court most likely has a program for young people whereby she can get the charge dismissed upon successful completion of the program which will result in her avoiding a conviction, keeping this off of her record, and not having her driver's license suspended.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics