Skip to main content

Daughter in accident (her fault), other driver suing insurance. Second letter from court requestiong daughter's presence.

Winthrop Harbor, IL |

Insurance company has told me that they are taking care of the case, but I am not comfortable with the wording from the motion. Insurance company is also not updating me on status. I am concerned as to how this will affect my daughter.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. There should be a lawyer appointed to handle your daughter's case. Write or call that lawyer and ask for an appointment. Address all your concerns to her attorney at that meeting.. By the way, has the insurance company issued her a "Reservation Defense" letter. Just curious. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  2. Is the letter for a civil case or a criminal case?

    Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200

  3. Insurance company will handle the case for your daughter as far as civil claims and damages the other driver is seeking.

    HOWEVER, the criminal/traffic case is something they will NOT help her out with at all. Keep in mind that if she pleads guilty, this will act as an admission in the civil case (and perhaps the insurance company might even claim this is an exclusion of coverage and not cover her). Tell her to show up at court and be ready to plead NOT guilty. If she is found guilty or found not guilty, it'll have no impact on the civil case but if she PLEADS guilty, this is what she must avoid. She should contact the insurer before she goes to court to inform them of what she will be doing. Better yet, do this in writing and keep a copy.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  4. If the letter is from a criminal court your daughter needs to talk with an attorney ASAP.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  5. The answer to this questions turns on the letter being Criminal or Civil. If the letter is Criminal I highly suggest reaching out to a local criminal attorney. Also bring the letter to the meeting.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics